Outbound trunking is a Registration feature that allows you to present the CLI of another number on your account using a trunking number. Outbound trunking relieves phone administrators the onerous task of individually registering large blocks of numbers to preserve CLI.
Setup Outbound trunking
A Caller ID is made of a combination of a ‘From‘ and secondly ‘Contact‘ or SIP URI. By manipulating the FROM you can set an outgoing CLI, whilst using the trunking number Contact to make the outgoing call. The Outbound trunking example below will present 61240009009 as the outbound CLI while using 61240009000 as the registered trunk number:
From: ”61240009009” <sip:email@example.com>
- Log into CloudPBX
- Select CloudPBX | Outbound Calls | Select Number >> Outbound Trunking
- Click Enable outbound trunking on the line you wish to configure as the accounts Outbound Trunk DID.
- Click Save settings to update.
- Display name: Most devices such as soft phones and IP Phones refer to the name part as the Display name.
- Asterisk based PBX systems the name part can be set in the SIP or IAX2 configuration with the callerid= field – or if you wish to present it in the dial plan then you use the CALLERID (name) variable. By changing this name part to the number you wish to present on the call you can achieve multiple caller ID presentations for each DDI over a single registration or login.
- P-Asserted-Identity: see also a P-Asserted-Identity header (RFC 3325) to define the Caller ID as an alternate to manipulating the name field (subject to your system support for RFC 3325).
- CloudPBX Groups: Ensure that all FROM numbers are within the same ‘Group’ as the Outbound trunk number.